Late last year, rumors were circulating that the water systems of the Squaw Valley Upper Mountain had been contaminated with E.coli. This was nothing else but false information and the Director of Public Relations of Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows Liesl Kenny released a statement setting the record straight.
In October 2016, there was a torrential downpour at Placer County that affected the different water systems in the area. One of the systems that were affected was in Squaw Valley. The rain caused serious flooding in the water systems installed at the High Camp and Gold Coast which led to the contamination of the system. Yes, the water system was contaminated, but it was only in that area. The rest of the other systems were working efficiently. It is important to note that the contaminated water did not mix with the water used by the public.
Even though only one isolated system was contaminated, the company ensured that a routine test was carried out in all the systems. Public safety is paramount to the Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows team. That is the reason why they scheduled water testing to ensure that it was safe for consumption. The testing was done by the Placer County Environmental Health in collaboration with the Squaw Valley Public Service District.
The team also consulted other experts with experience in water safety. The experts provided guidance on the different safety precautions that the resort could use to ensure that the water was safe for the public. Although the quality of the water systems returned to the normal levels, the team was not going to resume the water usage at the High Camp and Gold Coast. They were going to hold off until they got a positive report from the experts on the quality of the water. This, however, did not affect the guests at High Camp and Gold Coast. They continued to receive access to clean and safe water.
Water safety is an issue that management of the resort takes seriously and that is why they have taken the necessary steps to ensure that they solve the issue.